About PARAESTRA GIFU
When I (Sougen Shimizu) was working as a middle school teacher, while also teaching youth sports. Up until that point I taught with a "win at all cost" attitude, but I soon began to question if that was the best way to approach teaching.
During this period, it just so happened that Master Yuki Nakai had just established a martial arts dojo in Tokyo called "Paraestra Tokyo". Master Nakai opened this dojo based on the idea of "Martial Arts Communication"
Paraestra's slogan is "Martial Arts Communication"
Meaning that martial arts have the ability to break through language, racial and age barriers.
Although Paraestra Gifu is mainly a Brazilian Jiu Jitsu academy, and a SHOOTO association official gym, we also experiment with wrestling, sambo, catch wrestling, kickboxing, and many other martial arts.
Being "open-minded" is a very important concept at Paraestra. We should challenge ourselves to be "open-minded" and not be afraid to try new things.
We keep the same "open-minded" attitude in regards to our members as well. We realize that everyone has a different reason for joining a martial arts dojo. Whether you want to be a pro, get a good work out, diet or just have fun with martial arts Paraestra is the place for you. "Have fun with martial arts" is our theme.
Since the establishment of the Paraestra network 30 branches have been opened throughout Japan. 2 new branches will also be opening in 2003.
Within this network we plan to hold amateur SHOOTO and jiu jitsu matches, and tournaments, conventions and seminars all over Japan.
"Anyone, anywhere can compete and learn under the same core basis" is a theme Paraestra and the SHOOTO association are trying to spread throughout Japan.
A martial art is a thing that is 100x better, when it is experienced first hand. Let's enjoy martial arts together!!
- A quote from the Paraestra Tokyo homepage
These ideas resonated with me so strongly, that in 1999 I decided to resign from my teaching position, moved to Tokyo, and enter the Paraestra Tokyo dojo.
In 2001 I returned home to Gifu and established Paraestra Gifu on the ideals of "Martial Arts Communication"
"A dojo where people can feel comfortable"
"A dojo that is easy to access and that people want to come to over and over again"
With these principles in mind, we currently have members from many different backgrounds. We have members as young as five years old, all the way up to members in their 40s. We also have member from many different countries, such as Brazil, Peru and America. We truly have become a dojo based on the ideals of "Martial Arts Communication"
We have a strong competitive side as well,
・Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Black Belts - Masaaki Todokoro , Hiroki Ishizaki
・MMA Fighters - Naoki Kawai, Yuusuke Tsunoda
・Kids Jiu Jitsu National Champion - Raizo Ishikawa
Currently we have a few emerging stars at Paraestra Gifu. In 2012 Masaki Todokoro placed 2nd at the European Open in Portugal. Todokoro's performance was one of the first steps in our emergence into elite world level of competition.
4-5-5, Takata, Gifu-shi, Gifu, 500-8224, Japan
- There is also a Kani branch of Paraestra Gifu that trains at Koryo Middle School.
Fees (Gifu Dojo）
|Registration Fee||Monthly Fee|
|Weekends Only Members||10,800yen||5,400yen／Month|
|College & Trade School Students||5,400yen||4,300yen／Month|
|Kids (under 18)||5,400yen||3,200yen／Month|
|Guests||1,100yen per lesson|
No registration fees starting from the second member 50% off monthly fees.
Items required to register
First and second month fees
- Your monthly fees will be deducted from your bank account, post office account or credit union account.
- Monthly fees will be withdrawn on the 17th of every month.
- Once the fees are paid, there are no refunds.
- Fees will be paid by automatic withdrawal.
Bring something with your bank account number (bank book)
Stamp (please double check)
- Please fill out the registration form along with the automatic withdrawal form. The first payment will be made in cash. Automatic withdrawal will begin during the 3rd month.
- If by chance the automatic withdrawal process is not complete by the 3rd month, please pay by cash.
- If you would like to cancel your membership please inform Shimizu Sensei by the 3rd of the month. If not informed before the 3rd Shimizu Sensei cannot cancel the automatic withdrawal in time, and there are no refunds.
- We also provide insurance for those who need it. (1,500yen／year)
- Jiu jitsu gis, gloves and other equipment are sold at the dojo. Please try out the classes before you decide to buy any equipment.
- For information about the Kani dojo please contact Shimizu Sensei.